Saturday 15 November 2008

poems

I sent Shani an email titled 'waving?' and she replied saying ::drowns:: and I discovered that she had never come across the poem 'Not Waving But Drowning' by Stevie Smith, "much too far out all my life, and not waving but drowning". You can look it up if you want but be warned, it's dark.

Finding the poem for her meant I got caught up in cerfing for the poems I love, maybe I should mention that I do seem to like dark poetry, Plath, and Larkin http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/philip_larkin/poems. Toads, Wants, and the last lines of High Windows especially.

"And beyond it, the deep blue air, that shows
Nothing, and is nowhere, and is endless.

but my FAVOURITE poem is Siegfreid Sassoon

Everyone Sang

Everyone suddenly burst out singing;
And I was filled with such delight
As prisoned birds must find in freedom,
Winging wildly across the white
Orchards and dark-green fields; on - on - and out of sight.

Everyone's voice was suddenly lifted;
And beauty came like the setting sun:
My heart was shaken with tears; and horror
Drifted away ... O, but Everyone
Was a bird; and the song was wordless; the singing will never be done.

Time to get going for my afternoon eventing at the STudio now. Wish I didn't have the lurgy!

No comments:

Post a Comment